Visiting iconic birding destinations such as Shark Bay, inland WA, the Pilbara, the Kimberley (incl. Broome) and Mitchell Plateau, expect to see over 200 species, including Sandhill/Western/Pilbara/Black Grasswren, Western Quail-thrush, Grey & Kimberley Honeyeater, many endemics and a vast array of exciting other birds!
Following 2 successful Air Safari birding tours, we’re proud to offer the Western Australia Birding Extravaganza from Perth to the Kimberley. Targeting all local specialties, we’ll once again be using our own private chartered aircraft for this trip.
Day 1: Melbourne – Adelaide – Forrest – Perth
• Fly Essendon to Adelaide. Coffee and pick up any Adl pax.
• Fly Adelaide to Forrest (via cliffs of Great Australian Bight – spectacular from the air). Stop for a quick look around Forrest and lunch there.
• Fly Forrest to Perth
• Overnight Perth Country Comfort Belmont
Day 2: Perth – Cue
• Fly Perth to Cue
• Birding targets: Bourke’s Parrot, Western Quail-thrush, Sandhill Grasswren
• Overnight in Cue
Day 3: Cue – Shark Bay
• AM: Birding targets: Bourke’s Parrot, Western Quail-thrush, Sandhill Grasswren
• Fly Cue to Shark Bay
• PM: Birding targets: Chiming Wedgebill, Western Grasswren
• Overnight Monkey Mia Dolphin Resort
Day 4: Shark Bay – Newman – Pt Hedland
• AM: Birding targets: Chiming Wedgebill, Western Grasswren, watch the dolphins come in ashore
• Fly Shark Bay to Newman
• PM: Birding targets: Pilbara Grasswren, Painted Finch, Spinifexbird
Day 5: Pt Hedland – Broome
• AM: Birding targets: Pilbara Grasswren, Painted Finch, Spinifexbird, Grey Honeyeater
• Drive to Pt Hedland
• Fly Pt Hedland to Broome
• Overnight: Kimberley Sands Resort
Day 6: Broome – Mt Elizabeth Station
• AM: birding tour to the Broome Bird Observatory
• PM: fly Broome to Mt Elizabeth Station
Day 7: Mt Elizabeth Stn
• Full day at Mt Elizabeth Station. Birding targets: Purple-crowned Fairy-wren, Long-tailed and Crimson Finch, Northern Shrike-tit, Banded, Bar-breasted, Yellow-tinted Honeyeater, Silver-crowned Friarbird and more.
Day 8: Mt Elizabeth – Mitchell Plateau – Kununurra
• Helicopter trip to Mitchell Plateau to search for Black Grasswren, Kimberley Honeyeater, Partridge Pigeon, Buff-sided Robin, Chestnut-quilled Rock-pigeon.
• PM fly to Kunnunura
Day 9: Kunnunura – Ayers Rock – Adelaide – Essendon
• AM: some early birding around Kununurra
• AM: Fly Kununurra to Ayers Rock
• Fly Ayers Rock to Adelaide
• Fly Adelaide to Melbourne
– tour price subject to finalisation
– single supplement applicable for single bookings, price TBA
– regardless of what may be mentioned elsewhere on this website, return – client discount is not available for this particular tour
– tour needs 8 participants to go ahead at the quoted price